Although it may still feel like the year has barely begun, a frequently referenced name-ranking site called names.org has compiled a list of 2020’s most popular baby names. The list is comprised of predicted names, and according to the site, its “predictions have proven to be very close to the actual rankings.” The site explained, “For 2018, nine of our top 10 boy name predictions and 10 out of 10 girl name predictions were in the actual top 10 once official numbers were released.” For boys, the No. 1 name has been predicted to be Liam. Interestingly, it was also No. 1 in 2018. The name Liam originated as a nickname for Uilliam, the Irish variation of William. Meaning “resolute protection,” celebrities with this name include actors Liam Neeson and Liam Hemsworth. No. 2 is Noah, which came in second as well in 2018. It is a name of Hebrew origins that means “rest” and “wandering.” Singer Michael Buble has a son named Noah. As for girl names, Emma remains on top. It has been No. 1 for five years in a row, proving its everlasting popularity. Meaning “universal” in German, stars with this name include actresses Emma Watson, Emma Roberts, and Emma Stone. Meaning “olive tree” in Latin, Olivia is 2020’s No. 2 name for girls. According to nameberry.com, “Records of the name Olivia exist from as far back as 13th-century England, but the name was popularized after Shakespeare used it for the name of the countess in Twelfth Night.”
Chris Hong Copy Editor
1. What kind of names are on names.org's 2020 list?
2. What name is predicted to be the most popular for boys this year?
3. What name is predicted to be the most popular for girls this year?
1. Do you have any names you like that were listed in this article?
2. Do you have an English name? If so, what is it?
3. In the future, if you had a child, how would you decide their name?
4. How important are names to people?