How often do you eat frozen food? These foods include frozen vegetables, waffles, fries, and even dumplings! Do you enjoy them? Frozen food has revolutionized home cooking. It has made the lives of home cooks everywhere simple and easy. Instead of having to make certain items from scratch or worry about seasonal freshness, home cooks can simply pull something out of the freezer and make it ready to eat with relative ease.
In the 1910s, Clarence Birdseye, a New York City native, spent some time in Labrador, Canada, where he witnessed the local Inuits, the native people of the area, catch fish and immediately leave it out overnight to freeze. He noticed after eating the fish that it tasted fresh. Nearly a decade later, when Clarence moved back to the United States, he commercialized a technique of freezing fish after noticing that most fish would spoil after being caught. Since then, freezing food has moved on from fish to all types of seafood, meat, vegetables, and prepared food!
Ryan Lim For The Junior Times
1. What are some examples of frozen food that were mentioned in the article?
2. What can home cooks now do?
3. What was the inspiration behind Clarence Birdseye’s technique of freezing fish?
1. What frozen food do you tend to eat often of?
2. What do you like about frozen food?
3. What do you dislike about frozen food?
4. What is another useful food invention that came out recently?