Golf is a sport where players use clubs to hit balls into holes on a course. It is the only ball sport that intentionally makes varied terrains a key challenge. Players aim to get as little strokes as possible, which means getting a ball immediately into a hole is ideal. The ancient history behind golf is unknown. Some believe the sport originates from a Roman game where players used bent sticks to hit leather balls. Others claim it originated from a Chinese game called chuiwan. What is certain is that the modern version of golf came from Scotland. The first written record about golf comes from 1457, when James II of Scotland banned the sport for being a distraction when learning archery. Years later, his grandson, James IV, became a golfer and lifted the ban in 1502. Around this time, golf clubs began to emerge. Many historians believe golf began to spread globally after James VI of Scotland succeeded to the throne of England in 1603.
Ray Hong Staff Reporter
1. What are the two origin stories of golf?
2. Where did the modern version of golf come from?
3. What does James VI of Scotland have to do with golf?
1. Are you a fan of golf?
2. Is golf a popular sport in Korea?
3. What are some popular beliefs about golf?
4. Which origin story of golf do you believe more?