Ssireum at the WorldFest-Houston International Film Festival
Ssireum, Beyond Division and Connecting the World, a 60-minute documentary about the sport, recently clinched the Gold Remi Award in the documentary category at the competitive 2020 WorldFest-Houston International Film Festival, which was founded in 1961. The documentary was jointly produced by the Cultural Heritage Administration and the Korea International Broadcasting Foundation, also known as Arirang. Split into two parts, the first part introduces the basics of ssireum, covering its history, cultural transmission, characteristics, and more. Meanwhile, the second part compares ssireum from the two Koreas and talks about how the sport became global, emphasizing its remarkable achievement of making it on the list of UNESCO’s intangible cultural heritage of humanity.
Yejin Hwang Staff Reporter
1. What's the name of the 60-minute documentary about ssireum?
2. What is the Korea International Broadcasting Foundation also called?
3. What list from UNESCO did ssireum become a part of?
1. Do you have any interest in ssireum?
2. Are you interested in watching the 60-minute documentary?
3. Are there any other Korean sports you know of?
4. How important is making it on a list from UNESCO?