Grass is a comic book by Keum Suk Gendry-Kim. It is about how women were forced to become comfort women by the Japanese military during World War II. The story is based on the testimony of a victim named Lee Ok-seon. Grass was published in many languages, including Korean, English, French, Italian, Arabic, and Portuguese. It recently made headlines around the world for clinching the title of Best International Book at the Harvey Awards. It is one of the most renowned awards in the comic industry and recognizes achievements in many different categories. Kim said she hopes her book will help raise awareness about the oppression that women face all around the world.
Yejin Hwang Staff Reporter
1. What is Grass about?
2. How many languages was Grass published in?
3. What does Kim hope for with her comic book?
1. Do you think Grass' comic book format will interest more young readers?
2. Are you interested in reading Grass?
3. Why should Korea's youth be aware about the comfort women during World War II?
4. Do you think Grass will help raise awareness about the oppression women face around the world?